Let’s get real– I am not the best person out there. I say things too quick. I say things too easy. I let small things bother me. I can’t stand the people who let others use them. I fight for the little guy. I fight for what I think is right. I get myself in trouble a lot. I say what I think. I have no filter (most days).
I’m trying to change ALL of that!
Proverbs 21:23 “Watch your tongue; you’ll save yourself a lot of grief.”
I became aware of this it the past couple of days when I speak to my husband. Really- it hit me last night. I’m so quick to “speak” truth, when often it’s at his expense. I said something truthful but very hurtful. If the tables had been turned, and he had said that to me, I would have been crushed. Of course, he blew it off…but still. It could have gone without being said. We have been married for three years, and I know that everyone struggles, but I feel like we struggle a lot. We are two completely different people. In most ways we compliment each other by our opposite tendencies…but there are some really big “differences” that are so hard for me.
He is co-dependent. I am 100% independent. He doesn’t like time by himself. I CRAVE time by myself.
This. Is. So. Hard!
We have done a couple of “studies” together…such as “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman and “Love and Respect” by Emerson Eggerichs. Both of which are SO great! The Five Love Languages…brilliant! Love and Respect…also brilliant! But they are so hard to follow. I know what he needs and he knows what I need…why can’t we just do it? Funny, I know.
We both know what we need. We both struggle with it. But I couldn’t think of anyone else I would rather have my struggles with!
Let me tell you a bit about my husband…and what he does that is so GOOD to me!
1. Cleans. I have never cleaned the house by myself.
2. Cleans BATHROOMS! I have never in our time being together, ever, ever, ever cleaned a bathroom! Never.
3. Loves my cooking–and tells me about it. He tells me it’s the best cooking he’s ever had and that mine is his favorite. Sure, he might be buttering me up so I continue to cook for him–but I’ll take it! (Other than his Mommas spaghetti–no one, not even himself, will perfect her spaghetti.)
4. He tells me no! He doesn’t let me buy everything in the world. If he did, we’d for sure be broke! But sometimes, I’ll ask him if I can buy something–just to hear him say no! It’s funny to me but probably super stressful to him!
5. He grew his beard out for me! Silly—yes…but you have no idea! He is sexy regardless, but he is dead sexy with a beard! Seriously! He’s not fond of it…which makes it even more special to me that he keeps it!
There are so many things I could go on and on. But those are the top five things that he does JUST for me that I absolutely LOVE!
So, even though we struggle most days as we are still trying to mold our differences together… I wouldn’t change a thing. Our love wins! I look forwards to our lifetime together!